Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Talents

Ola :)

Great week this week. One of the highlights was the

Ward ARTS NIGHT!

It was a big talent show that also involved visual art like paintings and quilts. It was so much fun to see the random talents that people in our ward have. We brought some investigators so we got to see it all! Some members sang Opera (and I was actually impressed) One of them was in Italian and I thought it sounded pretty good, but if anyone has heard me try to speak Italian then you would know I have no idea. haha 

Some of the youth danced. There was a lyrical dance that was pretty good, but my favorite was one of the guys doing a hip-hop locking dance. He is a less active that we have been working with to come back to church. He mentioned a couple weeks ago that he use to dance and so of course I had to ask him what he does and why he stopped doing it. He said that he didn't know why he stopped, but it was something he missed. We had a a little conversation about it and pretty much at the end Sister Bearnson and I talked him into taking up dancing again. At this point I had never seen him dance and I totally forgot about the conversation. Then in the talent show he is called up on stage and he says in the microphone, "I love to dance and it is a talent that I have been given from God. The sisters have helped me to see that I can use my talent in good ways that uplift others. I will forever be grateful to my Father in Heaven for his gift" :D It was such a  cool looking dance and he choreographed it all himself. We were impressed and we are glad he is getting more involved with the ward. 

Other than singing and dancing there was a couple piano pieces played and there was even some stand up comedy. It wasn't the best thing I have ever heard, but it was still pretty funny. There was even a violin and viola duo by a pregnant mom (due in 3 weeks) and another lady in the ward. I was impressed at all the talent.   

At the end of that night I realized that so many people had talents that I would have never even realized. Then I thought about spiritual talents. There are a ton of people in the world who have certain talents, whether it is something they have really worked to develop or it is just something that comes naturally, God gives everyone a talent. My companion, Sister Bearnson is very good at listening. She almost always knows exactly what investigators are feeling because she can listen in a way that really allows her to understand them on a deeper level. Some people are blessed with teaching skills or people skills. There are talents of being great helpers, of always being considerate of others. All of these talents as a whole can come together and benefit all of us. 

God never intended for us to get to heaven all alone. We need each other to learn and to grow. If we were all individual people fending for ourselves then we would never have the need to be anything other than what we are. The talents and abilities of others challenge us to be better than we are. It is a wonderful system that God knew would help us out in the best way. 
 

Other than that we had our first Cottage Meeting this week! This a smaller group of members inviting their friends over and we all eat goodies and talk about the gospel. It actually was really awesome and we are planning another one in a couple weeks. 

We also got to help out at the library this week! We got to sort through book for 2 hours! haha It wasn't the most wonderful job, but we were happy to see the librarians smile when we were done. Service really is the best medicine. 
                                                                Pearland District!!
                                                                     
Don't worry...we never go over the speed limit!!!! 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment