Monday, June 10, 2013

letter from last pday Monday June 3

Texas = Awesome
Humidity = Sweaty Sister Earl
Sleeping = None
 
I still love it here in Texas, but I don't have any idea what to think when everyone keeps telling me that it will only get hotter from here. The weather now is just a teaser compared to what it is suppose to be. Luckily since I am a Visa waiter I don't have a bike so we get to ride around in the car everywhere! Wooo!
 
This week was an interesting week. We had a lot of great things happen, but also some plain weird things.
 
On Thursday we met Margaret. Margaret was the perfect investigator. She was standing outside her house when we came out of an appointment with her neighbor and she was so very nice. We walked up and introduced ourselves. We talked about Jesus Christ and how he is our Savior. She talked about the bible and we invited her to read the Book of Mormon. As we were talking about the Book of Mormon she stopped us and said, "What y'all is sayin is true." We were soooo excited!! YES MARGARET, yes this is true! Thank you! haha
 
So the next day we go back to talk to her. We knock on the door and a man comes to the door. We ask for Margaret and he goes, "Psh, are you sure?" We were like "Yes!" We couldn't understand why he seemed so amused... (but we soon would)
 
Margaret comes outside carrying her bible and smiling from ear to ear. We could not believe how awesome this situation seemed. We taught her the first lesson. We taught her everything and kept asking questions to check for understanding. She understood everything and she was so excited about it. Then the big moment came. Sister Howard asked, "Do you believe that there could be a prophet on the earth today?"
And Margaret said, "Yes maam, you are looking at one"
(Imagine our faces half amused and half confused. We were completely floored)
Margaret the prophet then went on to tell us how God wanted to tell us something today and that she would find it in her bible. She acting all weird and kept saying how the wind was speaking to her. haha. It was the single weirdest thing I have ever encountered.
She then went on to tell us all sorts of things like.. "you only live 72 years. If you die before 72 then them sins done took you out!"
haha, good times.
 
In my area of Houston you meet all sorts of people. A sister is here from Brazil and she said that our area reminds her of Brazil because of the poverty and sketchy roads. Nobody needs to worry about me, because we are super safe. I just think I was sent here to get me ready for Brazil.
 
Even though the area is a little tough we are seeing miracles everyday. We got a referral for a guy by the name of Ira. He is 24 and just wanted to know more about the Book of Mormon. We went over there and met his family as well. The family is so nice and we are so excited to teach them. Then at church the other day the son of a less active member of the ward showed up at church. We talked to him and got 2 appointments set up for this next week. There are people everywhere who want to know their Father in Heaven. We just have to be open to finding them.
 
The best way to do missionary work is through the members. If you have anyone that you think would benefit from the missionaries please let them know. I promise that we are on the Lords work and you will be blessed for the efforts in helping others.
 
I know this church is true. I know that this gospel gives me the greatest happiness. I know that one day I will be with my family and Father in Heaven again. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know he was an imperfect man, but with the help of God he was able to do incredible things. He translated a Book from Ancient Egyptian to English and that book is vital to our lives today. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Read it. and ask God if it is true. I know it is and it is changing lives here in Texas.
 
Stay awesome!
Love Sister Earl
 
write me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment